Saturday 23 January 2016

Why drink protein shakes?

You can't help but walk into a gym and see all the muscle bound monsters huffing some sort of protein supplement but do you really need them?

Well no you don't and here comes the but!

You could try and get all your protein from what you eat but this is much more time consuming  and potentially more expensive.

The general rule of thumb is 2g of protein per kg of body weight, that would be about 10 eggs a day for me to meet my protein requirements and I couldn't think of much worse! 

Eating or drinking something with a mix of carbs and protein after a workout will lower your stress levels and work on protecting your hard earned gains straight away and stop your body from taking protein out of your muscles.

The catabolic effect is worse after long periods of cardio, first your body will fuel it's self with some delicious carbs then head straight for a protein buffet in your muscles, just look at long distance runners, all skin and bone!

 After a long run where I have really pushed myself all I want to do is throw up all over myself, the thought of food is just just too much to bare right at that moment so a  shake is ideal to get down my gullet quickly and with no chewing involved! 

Liquids get digested quicker and easier, this a great thing if you are a believer in the golden 30 minute window after a hard session.

Protein shakes are also great if you are looking to shed some extra pounds, not only does protein increases your metabolic rate it also keeps hunger pangs away so instead of reaching for that chocolate cake reach for a chocolate protein shake instead.

There are loads of websites and shops that sell protein shakes in a massive range of flavours, I use My Protein for all my supplement and protein needs, I just wish I was brave enough to try some of the more exotic flavours.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They believe in their products so much that every member of the company uses them as well. Craig

    ReplyDelete

© Bone Idol Fitness. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig